AI enhanced street view. Ray & Maria Stata centre.
Like a lot of my other stories this one too is from a long time ago! A long long time ago I wanted to study in a foreign University. I had quite a bit of money saved up from my job as a project designer in Russia and I had heard a lot about how you could make up the short fall! I was not certain but apparently bursaries, campus jobs and scholarships would have seen me through.
I applied to a few in US , including Parsons school of design! I was always a cheeky over ambitious sort and I always went for the impossible! Most of my great successes and bitter defeats can be chalked to the fact that I always overreach. Well a couple of these schools did not respond at all. A couple asked for more details as in a polite no and a few sent in their student package tailored to my situation detailing next steps I needed to take and the timeline for the fall session. It was a provisional yes ; I was in and I had a choice of schools to go as well.
Do not ask me which school I chose. I did not attend any of those schools. It Is a bit complex but because of certain life events that had taken place ; my family insisted that I should go abroad only after I marry. I understand it was to protect my fragile situation but I should have brushed their opinions aside! It stopped me in my tracks instead ! I froze. I was too despondent to marry and I did not pursue my education either. I let all offers lapse and one fine day I made a bonfire of all those painful reminders of my weak resolve. University papers along with some other cards, and letters and promises were burned to ash and banished from my thoughts forever! I was entirely mistaken ! I Have not forgotten anything; not even a little bit ! Clearly everything was etched on my heart!
I have silently cursed myself everyday ever since for my poor motivation. I could have done it; I had it in me; I should have ! Life however does not stop for your indecision; bad decision or dilly dallying. Life took me over too and I could set a foot inside a foreign University lecture hall only on the day I drove my son there for his engineering orientation!
I have participated in a few MOOC courses from world's topmost universities. Let me tell you It is not the same and does even provide a cold comfort! The distinction was sharply brought home to me in Boston, Massachusetts. I went to visit Harvard and MIT in Cambridge; just across the Charles river. The electricity that courses throughout your entire being as you enter the gate itself is something that needs to be felt first hand.
I landed at Harvard on the day their student orientation was taking place. How should I describe the sense of utter loss I felt ? It was strangely mixed with the exuberant joy at seeing all those new students milling about with purpose and great expectations. I became one of them for a fleeting second; till I realized I am not! They could almost be my own grand children. Never in my life have I felt more crushed and even more elated at the same time!
I had to feel better quickly and I went on to MIT as therapy. I would have never qualified for anything at MIT but Imagine going to class in a building complex designed by Frank Gehry! Crinkled sculptural Ray & Maria Stata centre on Vassar street with zigzag shiny metal canopies and red brick facade is famous for things more than its design. MIT ; that knows a thing or two about building science actually sued the construction company and Gehry both for serious deficiencies in the building. There that is one the major problems with a Gehry design. It is hard to build and harder to maintain. You can never remain neutral about his buildings and you can not forget them in a hurry either! Would have loved to go in and experience it fully if I had more time. I watched its sculptural facade from the street near the pole that had a MIT flag hanging from it. Amazing experience indeed!
You realize in New York, how similar New York is to Toronto. Someone that should know told me that most of the movies that call for a New York location are actually filmed in Toronto . Nobody can make the difference on screen. Toronto is a cheaper and cleaner version of New York. Actually New York has a different vibe. It is more restless, more agitated , edgier, more neon and hence gives a bigger adrenaline rush than Toronto. I like it in small doses. You have to be physically present for this experience though! Times square is probably the most dirty place in New York. Homeless; vagrants; scamsters; broken pavements and dirty overflowing garbage bins spilling smelly trash on the pathway; vying for attention with unruly, drunk crowds; make one feel right at home - If you are from India.
Indians can also identify with Washington DC. Just like New Delhi there are steel mesh barricades everywhere. You can hardly get near the white house or capitol hill . Secret service, police and K9 officers are patrolling aggressively everywhere. Air is heavy with officialdom. Muscular American nationalism of the Trump administration and its visible & voluble opposition has taken over all public spaces. Makes one hard to breathe. Its redeeming feature is a plethora of excellent museums though It does not feel like it should or as before. Maybe once Trump era gets over ......
Boston vibe gives a high too but it has more gravitas! It comes wrapped with a lot of American history and resonates with deep academic seriousness. There is a likeable openness that is typical of the American society. It is driven by the student population and its past as the cradle of the American revolution. Your experiences are free, open, accepting and generous! Significant hallmarks of the west. It is right after my own heart.
On that note Quincy market there opened in 1826. There are reportedly over 100 food stalls there today. It is lively and very popular. Several performers , singers and musicians can be seen performing outside all around it. Couples, families , kids and youngsters sit on the stairs; on the pavement , on benches and just stand around to enjoy the music every evening. It is a sight that will restore your faith in humanity. We have indeed evolved from an animal state; at least culturally.
The establishment that I want to draw your attention to is called J J Donovan's Tavern. It opened with the market and has been in operation for 200 years. A simple beer tastes different here. Costs different too! It is worth it. Apparently a drinking establishment endures as well as an educational establishment!
I could not have missed both; could I ?



No comments:
Post a Comment
You are welcome to add a byte to our bark. You can agree, disagree, be critical, humorous or sarcastic. Add information or correct information. We do not have a copy editor so we'll not edit a single word of yours. We however have an in-house butcher who'll entirely cut away any abusive post. Come to think of it, most editors have the finesse of a butcher anyway!